Skip to main content

Wardrobe Makeover

Mar 15, 2016 05:35PM, Published by Staff Writer, Categories: Beauty +Style, Lifestyle Fashion




If you feel that your wardrobe can use a good revamping, then it is probably time to do so. Dr. Jennifer Baumgartner, author of “You Are What You Wear”, says that the majority of people wear 20% of their closet, 80% of the time. This could mean one of three things. Either you only feel comfortable and stylish in that 20%, the other 80% doesn’t fit or your closet is so full and unorganized, you don’t know what’s in it. (For help with closet organization, see “Get Motivated to Get Organized” on page 25).

Set aside an afternoon of no interruptions for your wardrobe makeover. You will be purging 50-80% of your closet. If this idea makes you nervous, recruit a trusted friend or two to assist you so that you stay committed to your goal. Remember your goal is to revamp your wardrobe, not to hoard clothing.

If you haven’t worn it in a year, make it disappear. There is a reason you aren’t wearing it and that reason is unlikely to change before it’s completely out of style, so just let it go.

If it doesn’t fit, make it split. If you are hanging on to clothes for the day you get back into your size zeros, get rid of them. It’s discouraging to keep small clothing around as a reminder that you’ve put on weight. Accept where you are and if ever you get back to your pre-baby size, you can reward yourself with a new wardrobe.

Confidence is key. Just because it “fits”, doesn’t mean it’s the best fit for you. If it doesn’t sit well on your body, you’re unlikely to feel confident in it. You don’t want to wear clothing that makes you constantly fidget. Wearing clothing that accentuates your body type will allow you to look and feel your best. If it’s in your budget, consider hiring a tailor to make the best of what you already own to fit your individual body.

Shoe inventory. Following the same protocol as clothing—toss out any shoes that you haven’t worn in a year, isn’t comfortable or isn’t worth repairing.

Make fashion your passion. Accessories are your friends. Once you have purged your closet, it will look thin. Don’t panic. The best dressed women have less clothing but know how to mix and match so that it looks as though they have endless outfits. Wear tops with various pants, skirts and shorts. Pair dresses with jackets or tights. Add a shawl or scarf to change up your looks, as well as various combinations of jewelry.

Combining the wardrobe makeover with closet organization will make dressing in the mornings less stressful and more time friendly. With less in your closet, clothes shopping will become easier, as you will have a mental checklist of items in your closet that may match your purchase. Soon, friends will start to notice you always look put together and will want to know your secret.




Fashion closet organizing wardrobe makeover


It looks like we don't have any events for this date. You can always add an event.

  • Teens with Life Choices (TLC)

    05/30/2017
    09:00AM — 03:30PM

    The Teens with Life Choices is a must for your daughter! This 2-day, engaging course teaches gir...


  • Educational Seminar

    05/31/2017
    06:00PM — 08:00PM

    Come learn more about why so many Americans are sick today, and what you can do about it! Free bo...


It looks like we don't have any events for this date. You can always add an event.

It looks like we don't have any events for this date. You can always add an event.

 

 

Current Issue