Celebrate Friendsgiving with Lamb
This year, flex your culinary muscle and opt for something adventurous at your Friendsgiving table.
American lamb is the perfect choice for anyone who wants to share something deliciously different at their feast. It’s sourced from local farms and its versatility lends itself to a variety of flavors and celebrations.
The American Lamb Board offers impressive yet approachable recipes fit for Friendsgiving, from a Sheet Pan Rack of Lamb with Maple-Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Delicata Squash and Pears to this Lasagna with Lamb Ragu. For more recipes to include lamb at your feast, visit AmericanLamb.com.
Lasagna with Lamb Ragu
- 3 1/2 pounds American lamb stew meat
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow sweet onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 containers (15 ounces each) part-skim milk ricotta cheese
- 1 ball (8 ounces) fresh mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 20 ounces oven-ready lasagna noodles (about 24 noodle sheets)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 12 slices
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- In large Dutch oven, combine lamb, tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, onion, oregano, garlic and 2 1/2 teaspoons salt. Bring to boil over medium-high heat then reduce to low and slowly simmer, covered, until meat is tender and shreds easily, 4-6 hours.
- Once tender, shred meat and stir into sauce (gently pressing meat with potato masher works well). If necessary, continue simmering 5-10 minutes uncovered to thicken slightly. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt, as needed.
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- In large bowl, combine ricotta, mozzarella, 1 cup Parmesan, basil, parsley, eggs, remaining salt and pepper until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Grease large roasting pan (14-by-10 inches) with olive oil.
- Spread 1/4 of the sauce on bottom of pan, and top with 1/4 of the lasagna noodles followed by 1/2 of the ricotta mixture. Top with another 1/4 of the lasagna noodles, followed by 1/4 of the sauce and 1/4 of the lasagna noodles. Next, top with remaining ricotta mixture then 1/4 of the sauce. Finish with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Sprinkle top with remaining Parmesan then arrange sliced mozzarella in single layer. Lightly spray piece of foil with cooking spray, cover lasagna and bake until hot and bubbly, and cheese on top is melted, about 45 minutes.
- Switch oven to broil. Remove foil and position lasagna so that the top is about 4 inches from broiler. Broil until cheese is crusty around the edges and blistered in spots, 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest about 10 minutes. Slice and garnish with basil to serve.