Trends and Tips for Perfect Paint Patterns
(Family Features) No matter where you turn, pattern inspiration is all around you – from modern architecture and traditional flooring to animal furs, floral arrangements and fashion runways. As homeowners and designers look to personalize spaces and create impactful interiors, patterns are being replicated with paint on walls, floors, furniture and more.
ScotchBlue Brand partnered with Patternbank, experts in modern style and design, to analyze the world of pattern and forecast five up-and-coming trends that can help take your home from boring to beautiful by adding depth, color and personality.
- Striking Linework – The once simple stripe has found new life with a bold, modern twist. Sharp angles and a fractured, abstract look bring dimension to the standard stripe, and add strong visual impact to even the most awkward spaces around the home. Consider using neutral paint colors for more traditional and elegant looks or brighter colors to infuse energy into the space.
- Mod Optic – Bold geometric designs are making their way into home decor with subtle shifts in scale and color. These strong three-dimensional patterns create a clean, modern style that communicates sophistication and audacity. Infuse contrast and depth to create a clean, modern backdrop for existing decor.
- Geo Elemental – From north and south to east and west, global influences can be seen in architecture, interior design and on the fashion runways. Merging traditional shapes such as zigzags and diamonds with various color treatments adds a modern feel to deep-rooted tradition, creating a meeting point for contemporary and universal. The lively repetition of eye-catching, sharp lines is ideal for spaces that draw attention in one direction and evoke a strong sense of place.
- ’70s Revival – With retro trends making a comeback in both fashion and design, modernizing retro-themed patterns energizes the home and carries a whimsical accent throughout the space. Give a nod to the stylish looks of the ’70s by building on lavish shapes with modern styling and fresh forms. The combination of high-contrast colors and the big impact of the pattern help make the space feel dynamic and lively.
- Found Fragments – Layering pattern on pattern gives you the creative license to have fun experimenting and showcasing your personal style. With clean lines or shapes juxtaposed against existing prints and designs, this pattern keeps your space down-to-earth while still being on trend.
Before incorporating these looks into your home, remember that proper prep work is the key to achieving professional-looking results. Reference these tips and tricks to get started:
- Tape around baseboards, windows and tiles to protect them from drips and to ensure sharp paint lines.
- Always clean surfaces before painting and only apply tape once the area is fully dry.
- Choose the right tape for the surface you’re painting, such as Multi-Surface Tape for baseboards and trim, metal and glass, or Delicate Surfaces Tape for walls, cabinets, wood floors and freshly painted surfaces.
- Use a pencil to sketch designs onto walls before applying the painter’s tape. Be sure to apply the tape just outside the lines so that you ultimately cover the drawn lines with paint.
- Once the paint has fully dried, remove the tape slowly at a 45-degree angle to reveal the pattern.
For more inspiration and project ideas, or to download the forecast, visit www.ScotchBlue.com.