King Cake Anyone? Make Your Own!
Jan 19, 2018 09:59AM ● Published by Grumpy Grandma
Almost everyone loves a good King Cake for Mardi Gras, but have you ever wanted to make one at home for yourself? We did, and we’re sharing our delicious receipt.
Here’s what you’ll need.
Ingredients for the cake:
1/2 cup warm water
2 packages dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
4.5 to 5 Cups of flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 cup warm milk
1/2 cup melted butter (unsalted)
5 egg yolks (at room temperature)
Ingredients for the glaze:
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons milk
Purple, green and gold sugar crystals
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Combine warm water, yeast and 2 tsp sugar in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside for about 10 minutes until frothy.
3. Combine 4 cups of flour, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon rind.
4. Add warm milk, melted butter, egg yolks and yeast mixture. Beat until smooth.
5. Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Continue kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
6. Place the dough in a well-greased bowl. Turn dough ball a few times to make sure all sides are coated. Cover the dough with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 1/2 hours).
7. Punch/Push the dough down and place on a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into three long strings and braid loosely. Pinch the ends together and place the braided dough on a buttered baking sheet in an oval or circular shape. To help with even heat distribution while baking, clean a metal coffee can or soup can, then grease the sides of the can with butter or shortening and place it in the middle of the braided ring of dough. Cover the dough ring with a towel, then set it aside for approx 45 minutes (in a warm place) to allow the dough to rise.
8. Next, uncover the dough (leaving the can in the middle). If you’re a traditionalist, this would be the time to add a toy baby to the center of the dough. Next bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. When ready, remove the can immediately and allow the cake to cool.
To prepare the glaze,
combine the ingredients and beat until smooth. Then, if desired, separate
the glaze into 3 different bowls and add food
coloring to make the glaze a beautiful Purple, Green, and/or Gold, then drizzled over the
cake. You may also leave the glaze white and sprinkle with colored sugar
Slice and serve!
Bon appetit Y'all.