6 Family Friendly Summer Day Trips: Acadiana
May 25, 2018 08:00AM
● By News Desk
Looking for something to do with your family that doesn’t require long trips in the car and something easy on your bank account? Acadiana has a plethora of museums and beautiful, unique historical locations that often get over looked when planning summer trips. Check out these places around Acadiana this summer!
1) Jungle Gardens at Avery Island
Bird watchers, nature lovers, and children alike will love the tranquility and abundant wildlife that there is to experience at Jungle Gardens. Open every day of the year, guests are welcome to drive the path through the gardens and are invited to park and walk to the Buddha temple, smell the blooming azaleas and gaze upon Bird City, home to thousands of snowy egrets. Be sure to watch for alligators. Visit www.junglegardens.org for more information.
2) The Lafayette Science Museum – The Lafayette Science museum is a perfect place to bring your kids for a fun, hands-on experience that will educate them during those sunny summer days. Their exhibits are always changing and planetarium shows are offered daily. Visit http://lafayettesciencemuseum.org for hours, pricing, and exhibit information.
3) Acadiana Nature Station – A perfect place to enjoy a walk through the forest without having to leave the comfort of town. The nature station is open 7 days a week and is dog friendly, bring a leash. Night hikes and other events are offered, check www.naturestation.org for more information.
4) Broussard Sports Complex at St. Julien Park – Located in Broussard, the new sports complex offers its guests countless options to spend their days. Whether you want to practice your tennis serve, spend some time in the batting cage, or take the kids to the splash pad, St. Julien’s has a place for you. Check http://www.broussardsportscomplex.com for more information.
5) Zoosiana – The Zoo of Acadiana offers family fun 7 days a week. You can walk the trails, take a ride on the Safari Train, feed the petting zoo animals or, sign your child up for a 5-day Jungle Camp. Visit www.zoosiana.com for more information on the zoo and all events offered during the summer.
6) Palmetto Island State Park – Located in Abbeville off the Vermilion River, Palmetto Island provides guests the opportunity to boat, kayak, canoe and explore the many trails and camping sites available. Visit https://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-state-parks/parks/palmetto-island-state-park/ for more information and to make camping reservations.
Make it a fun summer while taking in all our community has to offer. For more Acadiana day trip ideas, visit www.lafayettetravel.com.